Where’s that urine smell coming from?
A common question asked by Cat parents
I should know because this was me once a upon a time!
Coming home from work and as soon as I enter my house
Smell of Cat urine
Where is it? I have no idea!
It can be really frustrating when your Cat sprays indoors
The worst thing is you don’t know where your Cat has sprayed!
Don’t get me wrong
Cats are adorable and become family
And they do the cutest things!
But when they spray and mark their territory
It’s not cute anymore right?
I mean that urine smell can literally make your whole house smell really bad
It’s not something you’d want your house to smell like
And no matter how hard you try to get rid of the smell it’s always there
Just this one behavior of spraying can cause a lot of problems
My Cat, when he started spraying in the house (He doesn’t anymore) it would cause serious problems in my family
Some family members were actually saying to get rid of my little furball!
No way that was happening..
It was getting to a point where I had to stop this behavior once and for all
I did not want to risk losing him
So I done research after research on ways you can stop a Cat from spraying indoors
And here’s what I have found out
How To Stop a Cat From Spraying Indoors
How do you stop this behavior?
You can’t physically stop your Cat from spraying
It’s in their nature and it’s their of communicating
So what you need to do is get to the root of the problem
Why is your Cat spraying
What is making him behave this way
It’s all about tackling this problem from the root
So let’s look at different reasons your Cat may be spraying
The first thing you should do is take your Cat to the vets to make sure he is okay medically
You see, Cats will urinate all of a sudden due to an infection in the bladder
So you’ve taken your Cat to the vets already and he’s healthy
So now what?
Let’s look at other reasons why your Cat may be spraying in the house and driving you insane!
Cat can get stressed too! And when they get stressed they start to spray
What causes your Cat to stress?
- Redecorating your home – Cats love routine and as soon as things change this can cause them stress
- A new pet in the household can cause your Cat to stress because they will feel threatened someone has come into their territory
- When you’re stressed – Your Cat can sense when you get stressed and this can have a negative impact on your Cat and make him stressed too!
- When you are not at home for long periods can cause your Cat to get stressed
- A new Cat coming into the area or neighborhood
Cat spraying and urinating are two different things
Cat spray is drops and if you catch your kitty in action you will see how he erects his tail and quivers letting out a few urine drops. They will spray on things such as carpets, doors, curtains anything that is vertical
Cat urinating is when they leave a puddle. They will sit/squat and urinate and this is on anything that is horizontal such as bed, carpet, floor etc
If your Cat is urinating and not spraying then this could be because of the Litter box
Let’s take a look at what litter box problems
Litter Box Problems
Litter box plays an important role in why your Cat may be spraying
There are many factors to consider with your Cats litter box
- It needs to be cleaned regularly because your Cat will not use a dirty litter box. They themselves are very clean so why would they use a litter box that is not cleaned. Would you use a washroom that is not clean? No right? Then your Cat is the same too!
- Have you changed the litter because this can cause litter box avoidance as your Cat does not like the litter you’re using. Adding scented litter can put a cat off using the litter box. If you do want to change litter type then you should do this gradually and slowly by mixing them together
- Putting the litter box in the wrong places can cause your Cat to avoid using the litter box. Do not place the litter tray near your Cats food because I’m sure your Cat would not want to relieve themselves by their food bowl. Another place where you shouldn’t put the litter box is by the dryer or washing machine because this can scare your Cat which will result in your Cat associating the litter box with something scary. Make sure the litter box is in a safe and private area, so your Cat has privacy and also a escape route
- You need to make sure you have more than one litter box per cat as some Cats like to poo in one and pee in another
Your Cat is not spraying to get you angry and frustrate you
It’s natural for them and it’s in their behavior
Stress is the most common to why Cats spray
There are so many things can that cause stress to your Cat and it’s important to keep your Cat stress free for a cat urine free house
It can be hard to stop this behavior and it does take understanding and patience
It won’t last long
If you want to fix this problem FAST and not keep going back to Google and researching even more that will just get you confused then you should check out Cat spraying no more which is a step by step system on how you can stop your Cat from spraying permanently
I bought this guide myself and would highly recommend this book to all Cat parents because it goes through all the different reasons why your Cat is spraying and how you can stop this forever
It goes in real depth and will help you solve this common problem!
You can read my non bias review of Cat spraying no more by clicking here
If you want more tips and advice on all Cats behavior and keeping them healthy then visit www.catloverhere.com